Thursday, March 19, 2009

Beka's Cream of Crab Soup


I made this trying to re-create this amazing crab soup I had at a restaurant that is no longer in business. I did lots of research and here's my version.it's very heavy and very thick so it can be a dip as well. If you want it thinner, just leave out the flour.



  • 1/2 lb jumbo lump crabmeat

  • 1/2 cup chicken broth

  • 1/4 cup minced onion

  • 1/4 cup minced celery

  • 2 tbsp flour

  • 1/2 tsp salt

  • 1/4 tsp celery salt

  • couple twists of the pepper mill

  • 3 tbsp butter

  • 1 pint half & half

  • 1/4 cup dry sherry

  • fresh grated nutmeg (to taste)

  • pinch of ground cloves

  • 1 bay leaf

Cook onion & celery in the butter until onion is transparent & tender.


Blend in flour (if using) & seasonings and saute over medium to medium-hi heat.


Add half & half and chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.


Stir in crabmeat & lower the heat so it stops boiling (low to med-low).


Stir in sherry.


Leave on low heat & taste to make changes till it's a flavor you want. I ended up adding more nutmeg.


2 comments:

  1. you MUST be talking about Market Inn. wasn't the She Crab soup the GREATEST thing ever?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been to Market Inn, are they closed, too? I was talking about the Bay'n'Surf on Rte. 1 in Laurel. But still, this isn't their recipe, it's mine. So try it and let me know what you think! If you have suggestions, I'll post them!

    ReplyDelete