Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mom's Cheesy Potatoes

Take this recipe, print it out, have it laminated and put it in a safety deposit box. Because I'm so attached to it I may take it back down and hoard it all for myself. This is one of my most favorite home style treats my mom makes for holidays (and my birthday if I bug her enough). How does one quantify the goodness that is Mom's Cheesy Potatoes? All the good things of traditional homestyle cookery - loads of carbs, fat and sour cream (added with wild abandon! Wild. Abandon.) and a lot of love. This is the stuff of dreams.

Now these are some old school ingredients:

  • 2 lb bag frozen hashbrowns, thawed
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • one 10.5oz can cream of chicken soup
  • dash of pepper
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • one 12oz container of sour cream
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Topping (more old school action here):

  • 2 cups CORN FLAKES, crushed
  • 1/4 cup butter (yes, more butter), melted

First off, how awesome is this gonna be? You can already tell, right?

Mix all ingredients together (except topping) in a bowl. Transfer to an 8 1/2 x 11 pan. Then just sprinkle the crushed corn flakes on top and drizzle with melted butter.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Now go call your mother!


No comments:

Post a Comment