Sunday, January 25, 2009

Idiot-Proof Tenderloin Roast


I couldn't wait to use the roast that I had cut (myself!) from that tenderloin yesterday. So I let myself make it for lunch. Whatever, it's Sunday. Lots of people have a big Sunday dinner at 2pm, right? It's a hell of a fancy lunch but I'm having a great time, and with the money I saved from doing the butchering, it's not as bad on the wallet. Ok, that being said, I wanted to use a simple recipe that wouldn't overshadow the flavor of the meat. Also, I didn't want anything too intricate that would require a trip to the store. I wanted simple. After a bit of research (ok, 40 minutes, but I like it) I found this (courtesy of recipezaar.com):


Peppery Beef Tenderloin



  • 1 tsp oregano

  • 1 tsp thyme

  • 1 tsp salt

  • 1 tsp paprika

  • 1/2 tsp garlic salt (had none, threw some Montreal Steak Seasoning in there)

  • 1/2 tsp onion powder (I used 1 full tsp of dried onion)

  • 1/2 tsp basil

  • 1 tsp cracked black pepper

  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

  • 3 lbs beef tenderloin

Mix spices well. Rub into the tenderloin. Bake at 400 until the internal temp reaches about 130 (for med-rare). Cover, and let sit for 5-10 min. Cut & serve.


That's IT. I also tied it up with kitchen twine just before seasoning, to make sure it held it's shape. Gorgeous. Delicious. Took about 35 minutes. I was concered because the recipe didn't call for searing. But it turned out so great. The beauty of tenderloin is it makes you look good even when you do practically nothing.

I've gotta do this more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment