Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Creamy Garlic Soup

This was a serious hit with my family. I went BEZERK with the garlic but it's ok. That's how I roll. Anyway, prepare to have awful breath. Don't say I didn't warn you.

  • 3 heads (yes, heads) garlic
  • 2 tbsp olive oil (and then some)
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 1/4 cups onions
  • 1 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 18 garlic cloves (yes, in addition to the 3 heads)
  • 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • salt & pepper
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
  • 4 lemon wedges (so really, we're talking about a whole lemon here)

Preheat oven to 350. Cut tops off garlic heads, sprinkle with olive oil & cover.

Bake until tender - about 45 minutes. Cool, then squeeze between finger tips to release the cloves (or, of they're really hot, get your husband to do it. Hey, I never said I was a feminist).

In a saucepan, melt butter; add onions & thyme; cook 6 minutes.

Add roasted garlic & raw clove; cook 3 minutes.

Add broth; cover & simmer until garlic is tender, 20 minutes.

At this point you could add mushrooms if you like that sort of thing. I do not.

Transfer to blender and puree. I would puree maybe 3/4 of it and leave the rest. You want some texture.

Pour mixture back into the saucepan; add cream and S & P to taste. Bring to a simmer.

Divide cheese among 4 bowls. Squeeze 1 lemon wedge over each bowl. Pour soup over top & serve. If you've got it, chuck some chopped fresh parsley in there too.

Top with crostini (recipe to come).


mmm...crostini...




No comments:

Post a Comment