Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Chicken Coconut Soup with Lemongrass


This is sooo good. Also called Tom Kha Gai, this is a Thai soup. It has the typical thai combination of flavors - citrus & spicy chili & coconut. I made a ton of it when my husband had the flu so that I could fight it off. I still felt kinda icky (maybe from being around a sick person?) but I never fully caught it. Ginger & lemongrass are both especially soothing when you're sick. Once you locate the ingredients (I got all of mine from Safeway), it's easy to make. I adapted this recipe from Williams-Sonoma. They know their stuff. I took out a few of their ingredients (mushrooms, fresh chilis & cilantro). Check their website if you want the original recipe.
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 4 slices peeled fresh ginger
  • 1 large lemongrass salk, cut into 2-inch pieces, crushed
  • grated zest of 1 lime
  • two 14oz cans coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 2-3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2tbsp light brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp red chili paste (Siracha!)
  • 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces

In a large saucepan, combine the broth, ginger, lemongrass & lime zest. Place over medium heat & slowly bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.

Reduce heat to low, add the coconut milk (mmm...coconut milk), stir to combine & bring to a simmer.

Add the lime juice, soy sauce, brown sugar & chili paste; mix well & simmer for 5 minutes.

Add the chicken pieces & simmer until tender, 4-5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment